Business Name Registrations and Renewal
Business name registrations apply to unincorporated (not a Corporation) business establishments and include the following types:
- Sole proprietorships (one owner) carrying on business under a name other than the individual’s full name
- Partnerships carrying on business under a firm name other than the full names of the partners
- Corporations carrying on business under a name other than their corporate name, referred to as a trade name of a Corporation or ‘Operating As’ name
- An existing general partnership or limited partnership registering a business name different from the registered firm name
- Limited liability partnerships
- Extra-provincial limited liability partnerships
- Extra-provincial limited liability companies
ESC provides business name registrations and renewals in real time for Ontario registration of Sole Proprietors, Partnerships and Corporation operating names. We also provide full manual filing services for all other business name registrations in Ontario as well as registration across the Country.
If you are looking for information about Incorporating a company, click here.
ESC Business Name Registration and Renewal Services:
Ontario Business Registration
Price: $32.00* fee + $60.00 disb.Turnaround: Minutes
ESC offers an efficient online service for Ontario business name registration for the following business types:
- Sole Proprietorship: A registration of a business by an individual. The owner of the business is solely responsible for all debts, liabilities and obligations of the business.
- General Partnership: A registration of two or more partners which can include individuals and/or Corporations. Owners of a partnership have unlimited liability relating to the business meaning each partner is liable for the debts and obligations of the business
- Corporate Business Style or Trade Name: A Corporation that would like to register another name either than their corporate name can register a Business Name that will show 100% ownership by the Corporation. A Corporation may choose to register multiple names, commonly referred to as operating names.
Business Name Registrations are good for a five (5) year period at which point the registration will expire.
If you choose to file online using ESC’s eService site you receive your Master Business Licence via email in minutes.
For information on manual filing of the above noted registrations, review the Manual Business Name Registration Filings section.
Ontario Business Renewal
Price: $32.00* fee + $60.00 disb.Turnaround: Minutes. Mailed out 7-10 business days.
Alike Business Name Registrations, ESC offers both online and manual filing services for business name renewals.
In the case of renewal’s you will require all of the business’ information that was originally registered including the Business Identification Number and ideally the date of the previous registration (either new or renewal). It is best to obtain this information from the most recently issued Master Business License (MBL).
Business Name Renewal’s must be filed any time prior to the expiry date or within sixty (60) days following the expiry. If the name is not renewed within this period a new registration is required.
If you choose to file online, you will receive a filing confirmation and the MBL will be mailed directly from the Ministry of Government Services (MGS) to the business mailing address in 7 – 10 days from the date of filing.
Due to the fact that MBL’s are not produced in minutes for this service if filed online, many people prefer to file manually allowing them to receive the MBL the same business day.
For information on manual filing services, review the information below.
Manual Business Name Registration Filings
Price: $32.00 fee + $80.00 disb.Turnaround: same day
ESC supports all manual filings with the Ministry of Government Services (MGS), Central Production and Verification Services Branch (CPVSB) that includes all business name filing services for Ontario on a daily basis.
With the exception of Declaration (Form 3) filings under the Limited Partnerships Act, business name filings do not require original signatures.
Dependent on filing requirements, documents should be sent to:
By courier to:
ESC Corporate Services Ltd.
Attn: Document Filing445 King Street West, 4th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5V 1K4
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org - Attn: Document Filing
- Send required documents to ESC
Note: Forms must be on the correct size of paper as prescribed on the Ministry forms.
- Include a Cheque made payble to the Minister of Finance in the government fee amount.
- ESC will file your registration at the counter at Central Production and Verification Services Branch (CPVSB).
- Once registered, a copy of the registration are available online and email same day, with the originals returned by courier.
For a full list of fees and government disburesements, click here.
Price: $15.00*Turnaround: Minutes
WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board): Most businesses in Ontario that employ workers must register with the WSIB within 10 days of hiring their first full time or part time worker. For further information on WSIB visit: www.wsib.on.ca
Note: WSIB applications may be submitted in combination with an Online Business Name Registration/Renewal for a Sole Proprietor, Partnership or Corporation Trade Name. ESC only supports initial application submission to WSIB and is not involved in any ongoing correspondence following the initial application.
Price: $15.00*Turnaround: Minutes
EHT (Employer Health Tax): Eligible employers with annual total Ontario remuneration in excess of their exemption amount, eligible employers who are associated employers and employers who are not eligible for the tax exemption are required to register for Employer Health Tax in accordance with the qualifying questions applicable to EHT. For further information on EHT visit: http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/index.html.
Note: EHT applications may be submitted in combination with an Online Business Name Registration/Renewal for a Sole Proprietor, Partnership or Corporation Trade Name. . ESC only supports initial application submission to WSIB and is not involved in any ongoing correspondence following the initial application.
Nationwide Business Name Registrations and Filings
Price: $50.00 + disb.Turnaround: varies
ESC offers services for business name registration across the Country.
Please contact us for information on these services:
- By email at email@example.com - Attn: Document Filing
- By phone at 416.595.7177/800.668.8208 – Select option ’3′ for Article/Business Name Filings.
Who Must Register Under the Business Names Act?
- sole proprietorships (one owner) carrying on business under a name other than the individual’s full name
- partnerships carrying on business under a firm name other than the full names of the partners
- an existing general partnership or limited partnership registering a business name different from the registered firm name
- limited liability partnerships
- extra-provincial limited liability partnerships
- extra-provincial limited liability companies
For full service offerings, including manual filings, documents may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or couriered to:
ESC Corporate Services
Attn: Document Filing
445 King Street West, Suite 400
Toronto, Ontario M5V 1K4
Forms for Business Registration
Note: all product pricing and turnaround times are based on Ontario registrations, self service order types (where available) for non-account (guest) Clients. For a full list of pricing, disbursements and turnaround's, refer to Pricing and Turnaround Times page.