Government of Ontario Legislative Announcement
Electronic Signature Now Accepted Amid COVID-19 Response
The Government of Ontario passed legislative amendments in the COVID-19 Response and Reforms to Modernize Ontario Act, 2020 that will provide relief and flexibility to different types of corporations and businesses in Ontario, as a result of the declared emergency.
Document copies, electronic signatures, and electronic filings
Legislative amendments have been made to the OBCA, Business Names Act (BNA), CCA, Corporations Information Act (CIA), CA, Limited Partnerships Act (LPA), and Extra-Provincial Corporations Act (EPCA) related to document copies, electronic signatures, and electronic filings.
This includes allowing businesses and not-for-profits to submit:
- Copies of articles, applications, and other documents under the Business Corporations Act, Business Names Act, Corporations Act, Corporations Information Act, Co-operative Corporations Act, Limited Partnerships Act, and the Extra-Provincial Corporations Act. Copies of documents required to accompany these filings may also be submitted.
- Documents signed by electronic signatures instead of original signatures as part of their filings under the Business Corporations Act, Business Names Act, Corporations Act, Corporations Information Act, Co-operative Corporations Act, Limited Partnerships Act, and the Extra-Provincial Corporations Act.
- Documents to be filed by an electronic method (e.g., email) that is specified by the Minister, Director, or Registrar.
This action is intended to help businesses and not-for-profit corporations avoid in-person contact during the COVID-19 outbreak and would ultimately reduce burden for business in the long-term.
ESC Support & Value Add Service
As your trusted service provider for corporate filings ESC will support the new electronic legislation and offer SAME-DAY TURNAROUND on filings submitted via email with electronic signatures. Let our ESC clerks manage the new process for you by simply emailing your filings to email@example.com.
- Review of all documents to ensure accuracy & completion including confirmation e-Signatures guidelines are adhered to on all mandatory pages.
- Creation of Cover Letters.
- SAME DAY FILING SERVICE vs 3-35 business days turnaround if you submit to the Ontario Corporate Registry directly via email.
- ESC will continue to process payments on-account or via Credit Card.
Resources & References
You may wish to visit the following pages for additional information:
- Bill 190, COVID-19 Response and Reforms to Modernize Ontario Act, 2020 [https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-business/bills/parliament-42/session-1/bill-190]
- Legislative changes to support corporations and businesses [https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-changes-meetings-and-business-operations]
- Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) [https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p10]